Thursday, April 30, 2009

Swine Flu

So, swine flu. What is it? I'm actually not really sure. Here's what I know about it so far: it has "hit" our area, it came from Mexican pork, we have a 5% chance of getting it, and in order to not get it we have to sing the birthday song twice while washing our hands. That's all the information I could gather from the rumors floating around school. Some people are getting paranoid. In one class, we had to scrub the tables with 409 and wash our hands before starting class. We watched a video on the importance of hand hygiene and were given a tutorial on how to wash our hands properly in another class. And all the while, I still don't really know what the heck swine flu even is. I guess I'll go look it up now.
Okay, I just Wikipedia-d it. And the verdict: I still don't know what it is. I did find a cool close-up of what the virus looks like, though.
It's kind of pretty, isn't it? I think so. The symptoms are all the normal sickness stuff: coughing, sore throat, throwing up, et cetera. So that means... you could either have a common cold, or... SWINE FLU! You could either have an upset stomach, or... SWINE FLU! What makes swine flu so bad, anyway? Does it kill you, or something? That would actually be cool, if it were dangerous. We could have an epidemic, and make it into history textbooks! Everybody would panic and plunge into poverty, there'd be all these dead people piled up in carts on the sides of the roads, and little kids with no parents. We'd run out of food, and I could make bread with sawdust instead of flour and put it in baskets to deliver to all my family and friends, only to find out that they'd all died. That would be exciting. I hope this whole swine thing turns out to be deadly.
Well, actually. I ate a sandwich today for lunch. It was really good. On second thought, I guess maybe starvation wouldn't be so cool after all. I like ham and cheese too much. I shouldn't let my visions carry me away and banish my common sense like that. For some reason, sandwiches make me think of my Europe trip. There are only 48 days left. I almost cried just now typing that. Happy tears, though, don't you worry. We recieved the itinerary a while ago. I've read it almost every day since. I want to have the route engraved into my heart by the time we depart. We're going to London first, then Paris and Versailles, then Lucerne, then Florence and Pisa, Assissi, Rome, Sorrento, Pompeii, Meteora, Delphi, and finally Athens. I really don't think I've ever been so excited for anything in my entire life. Things I've only ever read about, or seen in movies will be viewed with my own two eyes. I'm going to see the Colosseum, the Eiffel Tower, the Parthenon, and everything else I never thought I'd ever get to see. Being in another country seems so impossibly unreal. I'm going to board a plane in America, and after a day of flying I'm going to get off in London? That is impossible. But it's going to happen. I've never taken a trip abroad, apart from tentative tiptoes into Canada and Mexico. My first time out of the country (pretty much) and it's going to launch me all the way to the other side of the planet, without my family, for seventeen days. I'm actually kind of worried about two things, though. A) What if I lose my luggage? I only have about seventeen day's worth of clothes, so if I lose it, I'll have to go around naked the rest of my life. B) What if I miss my mommy? And daddy? And sister? And kitty cat? My cell phone is useless in Italy. I don't know if I'll ever have access to a computer in order to e-mail back home. My worries are usually washed away by all the excitement, though. If I let it sit here bottled up in me, though, I might explode before the 48 days of waiting are up. I need to go scream, or dance, or something.

Sorry if this post wasn't funny, or whatever. I'm too pumped to care.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

yeah i don't even know what differentiates swine flu from the regular flu. i hope it doesn't come to our school. that would be bad.
anyways, the trip to europe sounds fun! i hope you don't lose your luggage or get homesick. none of those will probably happen though.